Tall, dark and handsome, and of course a romantic guy as her future husband is a dream come true for most girls. While on the other side a curvy, beautiful (sexy), brown mostly referred to as “yellow yellow” woman as a future wife is a dream come true for the men. But is this all one should consider before getting into a relationship? I guess your answer is as good as mine, absolutely NO! Every man and woman out there should know that it is very essential to find that Godly man/woman.
I know most of us are asking; where do I find this mysterious Godly man/woman? How would you know “HE”/”SHE” is a Godly man/woman? I also had the same questions when I first had about Godly dating from a friend, I remember asking her, does it really matter whether am dating a Godly man or not? I think what matters in a relationship is the love you have for each other right? How ignorant was I but I thank her because she gave me some few bible verses which I will also share with you to understand more about Godly relationship.
What is a Godly relationship? Godly relationship means finding your source of joy in Christ not just from each other. Godly relationship includes readiness to fight for your relationship on your knees and letting God be the center of your relationship.
In these generation most people consider Godly relationship as archaic and unexciting and don’t truly understand love, this is because they have replaced the Bible in which God has painted a clear picture that helps them understand if they are really in love with the Godly man/woman with the internet which portrays relationship as an institution where the couple has the chance of doing all the uncouth things in the world.
For example one of the greatest love stories is found in the Bible in the book of Song of Solomon also known as “Song of Songs, which helps us to understand how to build a Godly Relationship. (I know most of us read the book just for fun)
It clearly shows that once you decide to date, you should look into God’s word to decide the kind of a person you want to have, and evaluate potential dating partners on those criteria, rather than relying primarily on the world’s treatment of ideas like “attraction” and “chemistry”.
As we embark on this journey of trying to build a Godly relationship it is important to note some of the helpful guideline which will enable us build and maintain a Godly Relationship
- Maintain your character– During courtship many people pretend to be who they are not in order to please their spouses, but please be who you are let them love you the way you are. Don’t change your life for someone because if they truly love you they will take you as you are. Don’t try to be someone you are not. It is advisable that you and your future spouse, you should show your true colors to avoid SURPRISES once you are married. 1Timothy 6:6, Galatians 5:22-23.
- Allow men to take the lead– I know most women won’t agree to this but am not the one who said so it is God who asked us “women” to do so. Ephesians 5:21-25, but however this does not mean that women should not have an opinion in the relationship.
- Become one in spirit– Make sure that both of you are in the same place spiritually. Choose a person that has similar desire for God as you, one that will build you up in faith. The biggest problem we all make is settling down with an atheist thinking that he/she will change. My dear brothers and sisters’ only God can change such a person and not you. If you are in different places spiritually trust you me that person will never change for you hello! A great example will be Acts 18, as a couple pursue serving Christ together, the joy which the spirit gives will fill the relationship/ marriage. Galatians 5:22-23
- Pray– pray about your dating relationship. Hand over everything to God. Let God know that you are asking for his approval. By praying you are able to build trust in each other, love and forgive each other as the Lord’s Prayer models us to do.
- Talk about God– most are the times when we don’t involve God in our conversation, we are so busy talking about our day to day activities that we forget to bring God in our conversations. Remember when we talk about God with our spouses it will enable us find out about each other beliefs.
- Get opinion from others– once we are in love we become so blinded by what we feel for each other and we forget to listen to what others have to say about us, (please note am not cheering that our relationship should be controlled by what others think and say about us) but it is important to listen to their opinion once in a while and also listen to what your love has to say. Titus 3:1
In conclusion Remember God’s love is the ultimate, the most perfect love comes from God, and He will do much more to fill the love space than a person ever could. Smile and know that God is with you. Enjoy the life that God has given the both of you and always keep in mind that he has your back and wants what is best for the both of you. Also make sure you spend time alone with God since God is your ultimate love.